Pleasant Interruption

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Hiro It Just Makes Sense.
At 7:17 PM
by: Hiro

Yesterday was a big day in Canadian politics. In case you haven't heard, they introduced the bill(C-38) that would officially allow same-sex marriage all across Canada.

And in case you haven't heard, we're made up of all types of people, we abolished slavery a few years ago, and (holy shit, you're kidding me!) we're now allowed to shop on Sundays!

See, when a society grows up and realizes that some things are just plain stupid, it will change its views regarding those issues. Not allowing same-sex marriage is exactly one of those things. Let's not even go near the fact that religious institutions simple don't belong in politics. Let's hope that there is some truth behind the words "separation of church and state."

Now, it's kind of odd that a concept so utterly logical would have so many people in opposition. Apparently, some 40% of the population are against it. Now just to be fair, most of them don't mind "civil-unions" (and are in fact supportive of giving them the same legal benefits), they just don't want their cherished word "marriage" perverted to the point of being associated with something "evil". Right.

So for those of you who are sitting on the fence, let me break this down for you. I won't even waste my time telling you why you should support it, since mere simple reasoning should explain that quite clearly. Let me address the "concerns" that the naysayers have with the issue at hand:

Gay or Lesbian couples will be able to adopt children! The aliens are invading! Warning, warning, danger, danger! Rally the troops! First off, just because 2 parents are heterosexual doesn't make them good parents. Just the same, 2 homosexual parents don't make them bad parents either. Also, regarding the "just think of the children!" argument, get a life. I think a kid having 2 gay parents is the least of his/her worries if they've been living in a foster home or wait a minute, (could this be the reason WHY they're being adopted in the first place?) if their real parents don't give a shit about them or are dead?

My religious hall/building/shack could be forced to be rented for same-sex marriages! Well, if it's being rented out to the public as a business, then of COURSE you can't discriminate against same-sex marriages. Just like you can't discriminate based on race. Hmmm could there be a connection?

It's against my religion! Your religious bigotry will be allowed to continue because the bill specifically states that religious institutions do not have to perform, or even recognize same-sex marriages.

My religious leader told me it was evil! Learn to think for yourself. Stop being a puppet. Religions aren't perfect(just as anything else in this world), and sometimes they just might be wrong.

You will turn my children gay. Better gay than discriminating bigots.

You will turn me gay.
Just admit it.

Evil!!!!! No, no, you've got it all mixed up. Here is evil.

(Just to clarify, I am not against religions or religious groups. I am against religious institutions trying to impose their values upon the rest of society who, heaven forbid, aren't part of said religious institution. In fact, I don't even care if a religious institution is against same-sex marriage or worse yet, homosexuals entirely. Just so long as they can recognize that it's their opinion and should not be imposed on the whole country.)

To summarize, I think it just makes sense. We're Canada. We pride ourselves in being the "nicest" country and we like to think that as Canadians, we are friendly, respecting and tolerant. Gays and lesbians have had enough hard times and they're finally getting some room to breathe. Why be total assholes and treat them like they're less than the rest of us? They aren't imposing their beliefs onto us.

When was the last time you had a gay or lesbian knock on your door at home or approach you on the street with a pamphlet telling you how you need to be saved from heterosexuality and that their lifestyle is the way to salvation?

Have you ever heard of a gay missionary?

I rest my case.

4 Comments:

  • So sue me, I'm lazy -- there's no way I'm going to spend 3 precious minutes signing up for a blogger account just to post.

    So here I am... anonymous. But you can call me Chaz.

    You made some pretty great points, perhaps now some religious zealot will stumble in here and attempt to quote some obscure book in the Bible to defend his position. *grabs popcorn in anticipation*

    Realistically speaking however, I don't think most people even care. I know I don't -- I mean, look at the topless law that we Ontarians fought for. The only people that exercise their rights are the ones who shouldn't due to decency concerns. Oh well... that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

    Anyways, keep up the rantin' and don't let this place die like 99% of other blogs! Keep it "cute"... I say this because Hiro just loves the word. He thinks this blog is "cute"...

    Makes you wonder sometimes doesn't it? I guess he just likes playing for the opposite team -- of course, not that there's anything wrong with that.

    Respectfully submitted,
    Steven Rive... err.... Charles.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/02/2005 09:36:00 PM  

  • AHHHH THIS BLOG IS NOT CUTE!!!!

    Wait, wait, will girls like it more if it's cute?
    In that case yes, yes this blog is cute.

    By Blogger Hiro, at 2/03/2005 10:04:00 PM  

  • It's definitely true that everyone should get the same basic rights. The problems stem from trying to please everyone's other rights, especially when the rights of some interfere with the social beliefs of others (in this case, the rights of gays and lesbians interfering with the beliefs of Christianity).

    By Blogger Nana, at 2/07/2005 01:42:00 AM  

  • First of all, I spent the tree minutes signing up to post this and it was definitely not worth it.
    so I am going to make the most of this one post.
    You know, the whole 'human rights' thing is just dandy, but I think it makes alot more sense to talk about people not as a bunch of rights, but as a collection of responsibilities, to others. For instance everyone owes everyone else in the community, the rich owe the poor, for the rich wouldn't be rich if they hadn't stolen money from the poor. Without the Homosexuals the church would have nothing to fight against in a vain attempt to bolster their dying religion. Don't get me wrong I am as devout as the next person(which actually explains alot of their problems) but its obvious to see our culture is moving towards agnoticism and away from the almighty church. Basically both sides are getting some good press from this whole charade and essentially no one really gives a damn.
    But I'm glad someones talking about it at least. I particularily enjoyed the spelling of mediaeval(midevil church) a post or two ago. a little play on words... funny whether intentional or not.

    By Blogger Mark, at 2/08/2005 10:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home