Pleasant Interruption

Monday, February 07, 2005

Nana Gettings Things Done (no, really this time)
At 1:43 AM
by: Nana

On Saturday I woke up pretty late (I won't say when). This was after a night of semi-quasi-partying, so I decided that something productive should follow, by default. So, I read a chapter from one of my books and began to write up a summary of it. This was a pretty big accomplishment, as anyone who knows me well will say, because I am a procrastinator. Most people you talk to regularly will say at least once in their life that they are probably "the biggest procrastinator[s] in the world." However, they have not met yours truly, for I am, in fact, the very root of the word as it is used today, and as such, the reason that the word exists. I am the necessary component for procrastination to exist, and everyone measures themself against me. I am the rule that measures the length and breadth of the kingdom of procrastination. Now that I'm done being verbose, and not all too self-absorbed, I'll get to the meat of this post. Also, sorry about all the commas. There's something about nesting comments in commas and parentheses that gets me going.

It's hard for me to get things done (which is apparent in that gargantuan paragraph). I stumbled upon this link from the website which controls my life, Lifehacker. It's about a program that was invented by David Allen, called Getting Things Done, or GTD for those in the know.

It's kind of interesting in it's approach. You first fashion yourself a Hipster PDA (set of index cards and a binder clip), or some other method of getting all the pending tasks or ideas out of your head (the site lists a few). Then you make categorized inboxes called buckets organized by the urgency of whatever it is that you need to get done. So, if there's something you can do easily (like right now), you do it and scratch that off your list. After this you continually review each box and move the different tasks between them. So, for example, if you were thinking of picking up guitar and you saw an ad for cheap lessons, you would move that idea from the "someday" box to the "next action" or "project" box.

The whole thing sounds sort of convoluted (and if not, confusing), but if you're like me and you have trouble keeping yourself on task, this might be a cool thing to try. I'm going to make a PDA and get some boxes this week, and I'll keep you all posted on my progress. For those interested, the link I mentioned above has a few extra links to David Allen's website and some GTD related stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home