Pleasant Interruption

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Nana This Post Written With One Space After Each Full Stop
At 9:10 PM
by: Nana

I'm feeling linky today. If you visit them all, I will give you a cookie.

d20s can be used in lesss-nerdy pursuits, such as drinking games. I know from experience, since I roll 20s like a pimped out SUV, yo. Critical hit indeed.

I feel like I should warn you. The rest of this post actually WILL waste your time. It is only for those who haven't yet reached the end of the internet (and who want to), and for those who love reading about punctuation, typographic errors, and the like.

I thought of this problem as I was writing a paper for a class. How many spaces should one put after a period? These sites try and tackle the issue. Most people either put two spaces after a period, or just one (I say most cause some people put MORE SPACES. Yes, I have seen it with my own two eyes). Apparently the period-space-space comes from the poor legibility of period-space when using a typewriter. Since most computer fonts are proportional (meaning, that they have different widths for each character, and consequently, for the space), the single space is wide enough to counter any legibility problems that typewriters had.

Here's a quote from Webword.com!
In the days of typewriter manuscripts the extra space was necessary to separate the ends and beginnings of sentences. The space character never changed. With the advent of electronic typesetting, the software attempts to 'fit' the type to specific line lengths, it both expands or contracts the available space to make the type fit. Word spacing is where most of this space 'play' takes place.

So is it anachronistic to put two spaces? Or nostalgic even? I'm a two space man myself, but I'm trying switch to one after reading all of this. If you leave three spaces (superfluous!), then you must have some sort of typographic fetish.

The video in the first link talks about other archaic typewriter practices, such as underlining, and the modern alternatives for emphasis that I lovingly overuse whenever I damn well please (subtlety). The rest of this post is in bold. Just kidding. Oh God, I've been living an underlining lie!

So what does all of this mean? If you didn't stop by at leat one of those sites, or if you're just confused by all of my links, I'll lay it out for you. Two Spaces = Get into the 21st Century. Still not convinced? Perhaps this article has the best answer for you (the bottom of the page):
I liked the website with the info below:

Should sentences be separated by one space or two spaces?
Yes.

1 Comments:

  • Two-space forever!
    Even in the future, if word processors somehow scale the size of all spaces for optimal aesthetic pleasure, I will STILL use two spaces after a period. Mwuahahahaha!

    Except in blogs. Because it won't let me and I'm too lazy to go out of my way to fix that.

    By Blogger Hiro, at 2/08/2005 10:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home