Pleasant Interruption

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Nana Possibly My Only Show in June. Here is the Review
At 5:10 PM
by: Nana

Okay, first of all. I promise to continue with my "Top 5 Reasons You Should Be Listening to (bandnamehere)" column when I get enough money to buy cds and junk.

I'm back in Belleville now, so I'm back into my pattern of laziness. For those of you who don't know what or where Belleville is, I'm going to tell you that it doesn't really matter. It's my adopted hometown, and the hometown of fellow bloggers Tony and Hiro. This town just makes me insufferably lazy, and that's as far as I want to get into the subject.

Last weekend I went to my friend Mark's place (in Kingston, Ontario) to support him and his band, The Roamers. They had a cd release party at a local establishment called the Grad Club, which is located on the Queens University Campus. The other bands who came out to play were an up and coming band called "Elizabeth" from Vancouver, British Columbia, and a band based in Waterloo, Ontario called "Knock Knock Ginger."

Elizabeth played really well, with nice harmonies and vocals that reminded me of At the Drive-In. That's all I have to say about them really.

Knock Knock Ginger are the kind of band who make you want to jump up and move your limbs all over the place. But we didn't do that of course, cause we're all indie hipster kids, who cannot dance for fear of losing cred. I can dance of course, because my name is comprised of a consonant-vowel combo, repeated. That's worth 30 points of cred-akin to a triple word score in Scrabble or something. Anyway, Knock Knock Ginger rule. I especially like the song titles "The Dancy Song", which (unfortunately) isn't on their website. When their cd comes out I'll definitely be picking it up.

The Roamers were the last act up. They were headlining, so it doesn't make sense to be the first band because we could watch the headlining act and leave. That's why the headliner goes last. I'm assuming that you're all mouthbreathing idiots out there because I want to take up more space on the site with my text. That's why I'm explaining everything in an unfunny way.

The Roamers went through their new and fantastic songs, starting with the sexy summer sizzler "Crake" and moving through all the songs on their new album, and a few favourites from their first cd. They called me up on the stage to sing a song (a cover of "You're Just What I Needed" by The Cars), so I got to ham it up in front of the crowd. They closed the show up with a very 70s sounding song called "Tunnel Vision" (which I always call "Television" for some reason) which is quickly becoming one of my favourite Roamers songs.

The night folded up pretty quickly after this, with a quick cake cleanup by Mark's awesome mom Emma (hello, if you're reading) and the selling of some cds and stickers and stuff. It was a strong opening to the official unveiling of the new Roamers songs. These guys can only go up from here, and it'll be interesting to see how things go (and I'm not just saying this cause I know the guys in the band... well, maybe a little bit)

END

P.S: the keyboard player (who is a girl, if there is any confusion here) from Knock Knock Ginger gets 20 cuteness points from yours truly, and 10 awesomeness points for being an awesome dudette: a total of 30 points. She tickles the keys, and tickled my heart.

2 Comments:

  • Nana it was our pleasure to have you and Tony stay with us. Your performance with The RoamerS at the Grad Club was awesome!!!! The crowd LOVED you. I hope you took home some good memories.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/19/2005 10:26:00 PM  

  • Mrs. Wils.... Emma, I'm honoured that you took the time out of your busy schedule to read our humble blog! Say hello to the family for me, especially Tabby. I hope things are going well in Tabbington.

    By Blogger Nana, at 6/22/2005 09:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home