Pleasant Interruption

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Nana On a Strange Sort of Pointlessness
At 4:00 PM
by: Nana

People do all kinds of pointless things. I name my electronic gadgets.

My habit of naming things that I own began with my first "two-wheeler" mountain bike. It was my pride and joy; I'd ride it everywhere, going on little adventures with my friends(and not so little ones).

The problem with naming things, as most people know, is that you form an attachment with the named thing. When a child threw rocks at my bike and put a few dents and chips into it's frame I went nuts. I still haven't forgiven him. And I didn't learn my lesson.

Time passed for a while and I didn't really name anything else. I got video game consoles which I could have named Peter or Sally, and used family computers I could have called Bill. (When I built my computer I did name it Rosie, [Rosie is the name of the robot maid from the Jetsons, and is a name that I'm fond of. It's also called Rosie because when I turn my computer on it talks in a female voice. I'm serious.] That's a story for another day.) But all of this would change when I got my first discman.

I didn't really have a name for it, but we formed an immediate connection from the moment that I wrenched it from it's moulded plastic prison that fall day 5 years ago. The discman was with me through thick and thin: through backstabbings from friends, through being turned down comically and repeatedly in school by girl after girl, through my first love in grade 12, and through my first heartbreak months later. I've taken it to two other continents, and to various provinces and states. It's been with me through cold weather and hot, and through exams and vacations. I don't think it would be much of a stretch for me to say that I love the think, but I won't. We throw those sorts of phrases and words around so much that they lose their meaning. But that really is the feeling I get when I put on my headphones and walk to class every day.

But when I came back to Belleville this summer I left it behind. I guess I needed a clean break from it all because our relationship is over. 5 years is long enough, and it's probably time for a change.

1 Comments:

  • well, that was an interesting read. don't count your discman [old faithful] out yet just because you are thinking of getting a new gadget. hey, i love it already and i have never even used it.love from A

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/13/2005 11:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home