Pleasant Interruption

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Nana Live 8
At 10:11 AM
by: Nana

To be honest I don't know how we could have possibly missed out on talking about the concerts. Something felt strange, and I only just noticed that we didn't write about Live 8 a day or two ago.

My opinion of the concerts can be summed up by this 10 point list from fellow blog Productshop NYC. It can be found here (don't worry, it's short so I encourage you to read it).

I realize that the point of the concerts wasn't to raise money but to raise public awareness of African poverty, but I don't believe that it really did this effectively. People went to the concerts and said "poverty sucks man" and then went home and forgot about it again. And the points from Productshop NYC only convince me more that this is what happened. I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks that Live 8 was a failure.

EDIT: To say that Live 8 was a complete failure is too harsh a judgement, considering the fact that the G8 have decided to increase aid to Africa and to reduce even more debt (I'm not 100% on that second part) to some of the poorer countries. If Live 8 was primarily what influenced this, then the concerts did serve some purpose. But I don't believe that this is the case. This almost suggests that without the added pressure of the Live 8 concerts, the G8 countries wouldn't have done anything about the poverty situation in Africa - which is completely false, because poverty was already part of the agenda of the G8 meeting. Arguing over how effective the concerts were in influencing the amount of aid being sent to Africa is a moot point as well, simply because there is no way of knowing.

Please comment on this, even if you agree with my position.

1 Comments:

  • Apart from forgetting about it, I'm almost positive that they still remember the experience of watching thier favourite artists perform their favourite songs. A simple solution would be to atleast charge 2 dollars. ATLEAST!!!! could have fed africa for a month litterally with the amount of ppl that showed up. Would YOU not want to see your favourite artist for 2 dollars?... simple simple....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/12/2005 10:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home