Pleasant Interruption

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Hiro The End Draws Near
At 7:18 PM
by: Hiro

Ok I'm still here. Really! Everyday I tell myself "ok you have to write something" and I can usually think of things that kinda come to mind but my perfectionist mind/laziness prevents me from actually writing a post. I promise I'll work on that.

Anyway, for those that aren't down with everything that's happening in this world (it's ok, I forgive you), this is my last week working at Natural Resources Canada and thus my last week in Ottawa.

Speaking of work, today I was sitting at my computer at work doing what I normally do at work everyday when I looked out the window and noticed some thing off in the distance. My spider-sense was tingling. Well not really, but I sometimes pretend that I predicted something was going to happen after the fact. There was a fire. A big fire. I've never actually seen a building on fire before but I definitely got my fill today. It was a biiiiiiig mother of a fire. I was told it was some old warehouse or something.

There really isn't much more to that story, but at least it had some sort build up of excitement. That pretty much sums up office life. A lot of times I will try to spice up things at work. Anything that doesn't happen on a daily basis has potential to become an exciting event and then later a story. For instance, there was a printer that once kept getting jammed over and over. To the ordinary worker it was a piece of machinery that required maintenance. To me, it was an overworked member of a team charged with a critical mission to save humanity. Horrified onlookers watched on as good samaritans tried desperately to save their fallen comrade with no success. Finally after 15 excruciating minutes of unbearable drama, the professionals arrived to work their miracle.

Soooooo anyway....back to the topic at hand. This is my last week in Ottawa. This term has been fairly quiet as far as going out and other rambunctious activities so I decided my last week needed to be optimized to allow for maximum enjoyment before I am gone. I'd love to come back in the fall but who knows where my next job will be. They want me back at my current job but given that I've already worked there for 2 terms I'd like to try a different job and more importantly work in the private sector. Government jobs are great but I can only handle so much of it, and wouldn't mind being paid a bit (read: a lot) more working for private companies. But you can bet I'll be applying to as many jobs in Ottawa as I can.

Thus far, this past weekend consisted of 2 back-to-back all-nighters. The first one wasn't so much an all-nighter, it was more of a little brother of one. As usual, Friday after work I went with a bunch of my coworkers to Malone's, a bar on Dow's Lake which is right across the street from where I work. Some of us ended up going to one of my coworkers' place after work because he had a keg of beer ready for our consumption. Anyway, I ended up leaving around midnight or something but when I was about halfway home, I saw two people walking on the street ahead of me. At this point, I was on my rollerblades and I was still somewhat drunk. My immediate analysis of the two figures I quickly approached was "I see a shifty looking guy walking with some girl with rollerblades in her hands." As I passed I heard "Hey Hiro!" Then I turned to realize that in fact the two figures were Nana and Tony(with rollerblades in his hands). True story.

At this point we decided to go to McDonald's and then I ended up hanging out at their place...until around 7:30 am. So I got home at 8 am and immediately crashed. I then woke up at 11:30.....pm. The sleep clocked in at a beautiful 15 1/2 hours. At this point I was kinda torn as to what I should do. I had to work on Monday so I would have been screwed if my days and nights were flipped. Therefore the only logical solution would be to pull another all-nighters. Nana and Tony ended up visiting me that night and this time they chilled at my place until around 7 or 8 am. On Sunday I managed to stay up for a ridiculous 26 hours straight and finally went to sleep around 1:30 am I think.

Yesterday a bunch of us went out to Minglewood's for wings. Mmmmm wings. You really can't go wrong with cheap wings. Definitely some of the best wings in town there. I'm told Honest Laywer's is really good too but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Tonight Tony, Nana and I were supposed to go to a party at a friend-of-a-cousin's-of-a-friend of our's place but the party didn't end up happening. We had been planning this for later this week but we've decided we'll do it tonight instead: KFC and PBR.

The premise is simple. Buy tons of KFC chicken. Buy sufficient PBR(Pabst Blue Ribbon beer). Consume both at the same time, preferrably in a location that emanates a sense of low-income and/or student housing. Tony and Nana's pad is perfect for this.

I am now off to go meet them to acquire the required ingredients of a Good Night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home