Pleasant Interruption

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Nana If You Give A Mouse A Cookie
At 6:07 PM
by: Nana

Two posts ago we had our 50th post. I don't expect anyone out there to care about that, but I like noting our milestones for posterity.

Yesterday night I had a discussion with my roommate, Tony T. Tran the THIRD, about giving out free music (on of all places, the intarnets). My argument was based around the fact that if a band is going to give out a free song, then there should be no restrictions on the useage of the song. By this I mean that the song should not be in a shitty format like *.asf, and it should not be encoded at a shitty bitrate, like 96 kbps. I believe that if a band is going to give out free music, then it should be at the standard bitrate, and the standard file format (so, it should be at at least 128 kbps, and in *.mp3 format.)

To provide a real world example of this, I give you Audioslave. Audioslave are a great band. Audioslave also live up to their name by enslaving their music, restricting the useage of it online. They have released their song in a format which has some sort of timer or something encoded into it. When the timer has expired, the song will no longer play. The only way to "unlock" the good version of the song is if 1 million people download the crappy version. You can take a look at the page here. (note: I know that the song was "unlocked", but its still a dumb idea, so there.)

My reason for thinking that this is a ridiculous idea is because if I want a song, I can go through other avenues to get it. Here's where things get interesting.

Tony disagreed with me, and he gave various reasons why, which I of course deflected easily because I am a lesser-god* of reasoning. But then he ended the conversation with this analogy. "If you give a mouse a cookie, he'll ask for a glass of milk." Upon hearing this... CUTE analogy, I began to have uncontrollable fits of laughter. I've never read the book where this is from, so the lesson "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" teaches was entirely lost on me. I think that what Tony means is that Audioslave should stop feeding biscuits to rodents, but I don't know how that will help the filesharing problem.**

*not true

** THIS IS A JOKE, I UNDERSTAND WHAT HE MEANT, LOL K THX, NATF I HAVE A PET EMU THAT RUNS REALLY FAST CALLED HEEMO

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home