Pleasant Interruption

Monday, August 15, 2005

Nana I rule several schools and have skills capable of paying any number of bills
At 1:30 PM
by: Nana

As promised, the low-down on The Avant-Garde Bar.

This bar is located at 135 1/2 (that's not a joke) Besserer Street, in Ottawa. From the first time I saw the bar at the beginning of the previous school year, I knew I had to go in there. It's one of my wannabe philosopher things, I guess. Or maybe it's just a poser thing.

Anyway, when I walked into the bar I immediately noticed the Soviet themed decor. They also have Russian stylized posters on the walls and play music from eastern (and western) Europe. The menu is all Russian food too! I didn't know what to order, so I asked my server to give me whatever she thought was good, and a bottle of Russian beer (the brand was called Baltika).

As I waited around for my food to be prepared, I too another look around the place. There was a wall with a large painting, which had some phrases outlining what the Avant-Garde movement is, on it. There was also some hockey memorabilia, and other souvenirs from Russia. I began to read a book which contained some funny stories by some famous poets and writers, when my food arrived.

I had borscht which is a cold soup made of beets. It also contained some eggs (boiled, and halved), some sour cream, and some chicken. It was really filling, and tasted good. And the waitress was nice too, so that helped liven up the experience.

Since I don't rate bars and such, I won't give The Avant-Garde bar a rating. But I'll be going back there again some time, because they have live bands on Wednesdays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home